Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Quiet Time

"Be still and know that I am God." Isaiah 46:10

"We have all heard the saying, Sometimes you have to stop and smell the roses. " But how often do we really do this? Are we just too busy being busy? Too busy even for God?

Be honest, I can't read your mind: how often do you sit down and just listen to God? LISTEN. Not pray, or ask for His help, or even pray for others. Just quietly listen for His still, small voice.  Ask Him what His will is for you this day? Or just "commune" with Him.

Isaiah also says, "In quietness and in confidence will be your strength."

This "quiet time" with God is where all our spiritual strength and fortitude comes from, yet we neglect it regularly.

I love this:

I'd dare to make mistakes next time, I'd relax, I would limber up. Would be sillier than I have been on this trip. I would take fewer things seriously. I would take more chances. I would climb more mountains and swim more rivers, I would eat more ice cream and less beans. I would have more actual problems, but fewer imaginary ones. You see, I'm one of those people who live sensibly and sanely hour after hour, and day after day. Oh, I've had my moments, and if I had it to do over again, I'd have more of them. In fact, I'd try to have nothing else. Just moments, one after another, instead of living so many years ahead of each day. I've been one of those persons who never goes anywhere without a thermometer, a hot water bottle, a raincoat and a parachute. If I had to do it again, I'd travel lighter than I have. If I had my life to live over, I would start barefoot earlier in the spring and stay that way later in the fall. I would go to more dances, I would ride merry-go-rounds. I would pick more daisies. I had my life to live over, I would laugh more, love more and tell them. What would you do?

We spend so much time preparing to live the Christian life, studying, going to church, "doing" things (most often very good things) but do we ever take the time to simply enjoy God. Meditate on who He is and His great love for us, and what it will be like to spend eternity in His presence, His immediate presence.

I think we would come  back from quiet sessions in His presence with a renewed ability to handle all our lives busy-ness and challenges.

BE STILL, AND KNOW THAT I AM GOD.

1 comment:

  1. AMEN!! I agree... just doing it is the hard part. I will work on that... hopefully, today. :)

    ReplyDelete